The Treesearch bootcamp course gives you both theoretical knowledge and practical experience of the industrial processes; from wood chips to pulp and paper.
During two intensive weeks you will get a comprehensive overview of the mill processes, and get an understanding of the factors that affects the properties of the final products. The fist week is dedicated to online lectures by invited speakers and online group work. The second week will turn theory into practice by laboratories at the Pilot Paper machine FEX at RISE in Stockholm and lab sessions at KTH/Karlstad University.
This course is especially aimed at you who are PhD student/postdoc and want to obtain a better understanding of the industry, and you who are new employee in the industry.
The course contains:
- An overview of the forest industry,
- Understanding of wood fiber morphology and wood chemistry.
- Insight in the processes of wood handling and processes of pulping, delignification and bleaching.
- Chemical process within the mill (chemical recovery in kraft pulping, generation of bleaching chemicals and water purification in forest industry)
- Overview of analysis methods and characterization techniques of pulp.
- Transformation of pulp into paper and board including all steps from fibre selection, refining, wet- and dry strength additives, fractionation, wet-end forming to pressing and drying.
- Transformation into products methodologies such as calendering, coating, converting
- Overview of analysis methods and characterization techniques of paper products